How to enjoy University as a Commuter.

After getting my place at University (Queen Mary University of London) over a year ago, before deciding to go on a gap year for a number of reasons, I worried a lot about how I would enjoy my University life. I was going to be  a commuter, which meant I wouldn't be able to enjoy the "University experience" and I would only meet people from my course. At least that was what I thought!

A year later, I'm at University now, and 4 weeks in, I've had an absolute blast. Being a commuter has not hindered my University experience in any way. The experience is only what you make of it, and I couldn't have asked of a better way to meet all the amazing people I've met.

These are the steps I took to ensure I wasn't going to be a loner.

1. Be Social:  I joined up to 3 Facebook freshers group for my University and I tried my best to include myself in conversations. Everyone was open and we all had a mutual interest; Meeting new people. Although I haven't seen half the people I spoke with on Facebook, the few I've met in real life have been super awesome.

There could also be a Facebook group for your course and if you've started uni already, it's never too late to join. If you would just be starting uni, then you should check to make sure you're on your course group before resumption, so that you at least know a few people from your course. You could also make your own Facebook group.

2. Find out what societies are available: Luckily for me, there was a Commuters Society in my University (God bless them), and I thought to myself, if I join nothing else, I MUST join this. So I did, and I have no regrets. Probably the best thing I've done so far since I started University. Amazing people everywhere I find myself. As long as you're not afraid to walk up to people and start a conversation with them, you wouldn't struggle. If you're lucky enough, you'll find people commuting from the same neighbourhoods as you, and BOOM, instant friends. You also get to meet people from different courses, which is pretty awesome.

Also, go on your student union website and find out what other societies there are, and join whichever tickles your fancy. As long as you make it a goal to be open, have fun and remember that everyone is in the same situation as you (new to the environment and probably friendless!).

3.Be involved: Sign up for course reps, elections, student ambassador, something, anything! So far, I have only signed up to be a course rep, and because of this, I gave myself a challenge of being a nicer person and actually talk and interact with other people from my course. It hasn't been easy, but I've met some pretty cool people.


This is what I have done so far, as it has only been less than a month since I started Unveristy, so commuting to University doesn't have to be an hindrance to you meeting people. Be out there. Let your amazing personality out.

xoxo 
Natasha.

Natasha Olutayo

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly leave your comments and thoughts below. It would be highly appreciated. Thanks.